About 15 years ago an idea popped into my head about a girl with a loose tooth. I had a little baby girl who would someday have loose teeth. Often when I think through ideas, I hear rhyme. I started to put my idea to paper and a girl named Red-Head Ruth came out. I tweaked it and changed it until I really loved it. I decided it was good enough for public consumption. I sent query letters to dozens of literary agents. I received dozens of rejection letters. “Cute story”, “not something we can invest in at this time”, etc. I sent letters to several publishing companies. Same result. After a few months of this process, I put it on the shelf. Fast forward about 10 years and 3 more kids later, I dusted it off. I read it to my kids. They really liked it. I took a printed copy to one of their classes to read to them. They liked it. So I gave it another serious look. I made some minor adjustments. My next step was to get it illustrated (I can’t draw a stick figure). I quickly learned how expensive art can be. Then I remembered that I have a cousin who was an artist. I shot her an email with my story to see if she would be interested in partnering with me. She was an immediate “yes”. She got to work and we agreed upon a style. She worked for a few months to get me a final product. I was getting excited. I didn’t bother submitting to agents or publishers again. I went straight to self-publishing. This is not cheap either. I had a special financial fairy that made this all possible.
So now I have a finished product. Red-Head Ruth Has a Loose Tooth is available for all the world to read and enjoy. I hope that kids from all corners get a chance to read this story and laugh at Ruth’s attempts to get that first tooth out.